What do I do if I move to Salem?

New residents must file within 30 days. When moving from another locality that prorates, you will pay a portion of the tax year to your prior locality and the remainder of the year to Salem. When moving to Salem from a non-prorating locality after January 1, you will pay your previous locality tax for the year. Taxpayers moving to Salem from out-of-state must file within 30 days of titling their vehicle in Virginia. 

All new residents must bring the vehicle registration to our office within 30 days of beginning residency or call our office at 540-375-3019 with the Virginia title number(s).

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I purchase a new vehicle?
2. What do I do if I sell or dispose of a vehicle?
3. What do I do if I move to Salem?
4. What I do if I move away from Salem?
5. How does the City of Salem value my vehicle?
6. What happens if I do not register my vehicle with the City within 30 days?